Sunday, June 1, 2008

Let's Keep The Fantasy Out Of Sports.

Something I noticed a lot in school, and my brief stint in the office environment of a company was people's love for sports. I am not a huge sports person, sure I enjoy going to events, but that is mostly for the food. I have been known to watch a Chicago Bears football game every now and again, or event a golf tournament with my dad. I'll never understand the craze for "fantasy" sports though.

To clarify, there is no fantasy involved at all. It is when a group of men, who are either too terrible at sports in real life, or were the sports "all stars" in high school, gather together and pick players from sports teams to build a giant mega team. Now, I haven't done much research into this type of fad (mostly because I got a headache trying to figure batting averages, and then fell asleep when I was reading the names of these players.) but it appears that you watch the event your "players" are in, and you are assigned points per "awesome feat" that the player does per game. Then, I assume the winner is the person with the most points at the end of the season.

Where is the fantasy involved in that? Unless Gandalf is running the bases with his sword in hand, or Frodo is dodging tackles left and right only to spike the one ring down into the end zone fires of Mt. Doom, it isn't fantasy.

Though, as I read what I have written about fantasy sports it does really sound like an RPG does it not? How come nobody ever made fun of them in high school, yet the D&D kids were outcasts? Everyone is a nerd...put that in your pipe sports stars.

So I tell you what, lets make a compromise. Start a petition for a live action Dragonlance film, check Perezhilton.com daily, watch The Soup, and listen to Lingo weekly.

No comments: