Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Strangers


I really ate my words today after watching this film. When I first started seeing trailers for this film I thought that it had potential, but I just didn't like Scott Speedman. This film was genius. I don't say that a lot about films, I am a really harsh critic, but "The Strangers" really did scare the hell out of me.

Based on true events, "The Strangers" follows two characters Kristen McKay (Liv Tyler) and James Hoyt (Scott Speedman). James and Kristen were at a friend's wedding reception, when they ran into some relationship problems. They are staying at the family cottage and start to make amends when there is a forceful knock at the door. There is a young woman asking for Tamera.

After sending her on her way, we are back to the doom and gloom of their relationship. James goes for a drive to get Kristen some cigarettes, and that is when the fun begins. Eerie placement of the strangers through the house, and incredible attention to natural sound bring so many terrors to this film I wish that I had a safety blanket.

The film is based on true events, and those events are from the writer/director Bryan Bertino's childhood, and also the events that took place at Cabin #28 at Keddie Resort. I look forward to seeing more work from Bryan, and highly recommend this film to all who are looking to lose a nights sleep.















No comments: