Thursday, August 21, 2008

Movie Of The Week - 5

The next movie of the week is one that is so good I'm surprised how few people have seen it. I've actually had its theme running through my head for the past few days because David Black used it as his main track in his remake of the song Hypnotize.

This weeks movie is...

I love this film so much, mostly because I love Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen, I mean she was my first celebrity crush...Hello Raiders of the Lost Arc!

Directed By:
John Carpenter

Cast:
Jeff Bridges
Karen Allen
M.C. Gainey

Tagline:
He has traveled from a galaxy far beyond our own. He is 100,000 years ahead of us. He has powers we cannot comprehend. And he is about to face the one force in the universe he has yet to conquer. Love.

Some Interesting Trivia:

Jeff Bridges' character (Starman) walks in and buys a Cadillac "cash". In the 1974 film Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Bridges character (Lightfoot) exclaims that one day he would like to walk up and buy a Cadillac with cash.

This script was being developed at Columbia at the same time as another script about an alien visitation. The studio did not want to make both, so the head of the studio had to choose which film to make; he decided to make this one and let the other script go to a rival studio. The other script was for _E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)_.

The only John Carpenter film to have an Academy Award nomination (Jeff Bridges, Best Actor).

The role of Starman originally went to Kevin Bacon.

Trailer:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Karen Allen, I wrote an unsolicited script for a Starman sequel back in 1998. It was my first script and I quit college to finish it. It’s been gathering dust ever since. I sent it to Jeff Bridges and John carpenter, although I would prefer if Carpenter didn’t direct a sequel. I wrote some good f/x sequences and some interesting characters. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be involved, but I’d to see the f/x scene from the beach being incorporated, (Jeff’s manager Neil will know the one, totally plagiarised from another movie, but it would look great on film today). If anyone has any questions, email me at hansenfilm@yahoo.ie and I’ll answer them. (Although I won’t give away any plot points. And yes there is a son and indeed, I actually have the perfect casting suggestion!!